You're eight points down in serve receive and you can’t pass a ball to save your life. As the ref blows his whistle the sole of your feet are suddenly glued to the floor. There goes another shank and a nine point lead for the opposing team. Or maybe you’re sitting on the bench feeling as if you’re not getting enough playing time. This is where most players would give up and lose all confidence; it happens to the worst and the best players. However, you can change this mental status at anytime. All it takes is five easy steps to keep you and your team positive.
1. Breath: Take a second to yourself, relax and take a deep breath in and slowly let it out. The movement of oxygen for your next move.
2. Talk: Speak words of encouragement in a calm voice, such as “it's okay, we can do this and easy pass”. This gives yourself as well as your teammates mental stability that will help regain confidence.
3. Cheering: Even if you are off the court you contribute just as much as anyone on the court with your voice. Prior to each game, choose someone to cheer for that whole match. Make sure everyone has someone to cheer for and someone cheering for them. This will add as a back up plan if ever a player is losing that kick to keep pushing. If your on the bench and being loud and supportive, not only will it help your teammates but it will show your coach your head's still in the game.
4. Positive Thinking: Take time to think of how you want to succeed. Reassure yourself in what you are capable of. Even though you may not be seeing the court as much, it doesn’t mean you are not a strong player. Players are often put on the court to match the opposing team’s strengths. Your time will come. Push yourself in practice and when your name is called to sub in, surprise everyone and rock the gym!
5. High Five: Never underestimate the influence of a great high five! After every play, good or bad, come together and make sure you touch EVERYONE'S hand. This gives you a second to connect with your team and regroup as a family on the court.
Tell us here at ROX Volleyball your steps to keeping a positive attitude on the court. You never know how you will make a difference! if you are playing at Big South or JVA ROX World Challenge this weekend, we want to see you rockin' it out there!